[darcs-users] Proposal: staging before release

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Mon May 17 16:10:05 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 22:15:17 +0200, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> this is what I was thinking as well. Why not expect the packages to try
> the -rc releases, and make sure that the final release is identical to
> the last -rc version?

Depends on what you mean by identical.  If you mean down to the version
numbers and everything, then I think we've got the same plan (and if the
final release candidate goes bad, we'll still have to bump the version
numbers).

If you mean identical modulo version bump, then the advantage of the
staging proposal is that packagers would not have to do the double work
of putting together the final rc and the binary.

Otherwise, the advantage is that if everything goes well, the packagers'
work is 100% done and we can announce source and binaries all in one go.

PGP Key ID: 08AC04F9