[darcs-users] [issue1371] darcs assumes -p for SSH_PORT; but putty takes -P

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Sun May 30 06:27:50 UTC 2010

Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> writes:

> If I understand correctly, you're trying different ssh commands (plink
> -P, ssh -p, etc) in succession and returning the first one which
> succeeds.

FWIW, I normally don't supply options on the CLI; instead, they go in
.ssh/config, e.g.

    Host *.example.net
      Port 26
      User example

I don't know if plink has a similar option; certainly putty's closest
equivalent (a config file per host) seemed to be more hassle than it was
worth last time I looked.

> Also, you may be interested to note that I've heard one report that MSYS
> OpenSSH actually works just fine and dandy with Darcs under the DOS
> command line (and unless Salvatore chimes in), we could perhaps start
> steering users towards that instead?

At $ork we point customers that still use Windows at the cwRsync
package, which is just enough of Cygwin to run OpenSSH and rsync.  Last
time I used it, I just added C:\Progra~1\cwRsync to my %PATH% and then
ssh(1) worked as I expected from ⌘+r cmd RET.