[darcs-users] deps.pl?

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Sun May 30 07:28:54 UTC 2010

Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> writes:

> So how does this deps.pl work?  Is it doing something which effectively
> works out the same as computing a minimal context?  Is it reasonable to
> expect the idea to work (not to speak of the implementation?).

Last time I looked, it worked by creating an empty directory, pulling
the target patch into it, then invoking darcs over and over again to see
which patches it could pull in and which it couldn't.

It has some obscenely high asymptotic limit like Θ(nⁿ), which is why I
stopped using it years ago.  It should be replaced by something like
camp-view, which can access Darcs' internals directly.

The other reason it might've hung for Isaac is if it's waiting for a
prompt that never arrives, because Darcs' end user interface has changed
subtly since it was written.  This has been seen before with darcsum.el,
so it doesn't surprise me that deps.pl exhibits it.