[darcs-users] trouble pulling repo? Try pulling in a fresh directory. But why does this work?

Eric Y. Kow eric.kow at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 09:20:09 UTC 2010

Hi,

I'm CC'ing the darcs list in my reply.

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 17:46:31 -0800, Thomas Hartman wrote:
> I just updated the patch tag help page to note
>
> ********************
>
> Trouble Pulling
>
> Does patch-tag keep asking for a password when you are pulling a repo where
> you know you are a repo user?

It may be a good idea to file a bug report (bugs at darcs.net).

Do you know any more about when this sort of thing happens?

Is it asking for a password many times in a single pull?

Do you still have a copy of a repository where Darcs has this
undesirable behaviour?  What are its _darcs/prefs/sources contents?

> Try doing a fresh darcs get in a new directory (eg /tmp).
> Oddly enough, this usually solves the problem.
> Not sure why. It is strange. At any rate, you can now use that directory,
> after migrating changes from your local workiing copy into there of course.
>
> ********************
> I know this works, because I do it myself. I just don't understand why.
>
> Is there some subtle ssh cache mechanism going on?

For SSH-related stuff darcs has an ssh connection sharing mechanism
called darcs transfer-mode.  If darcs transfer-mode fails to launch
on the other side (for example if darcs on the other end is not
a darcs 2), then it falls back to use scp and sftp... which may be
what results in the asking-your-password many times problem.

Darcs does have a cache system (nothing ssh-specific) which makes it
possible for darcs get --lazy to work, and also for darcs get to go
*much* faster the second time you run it.

Do you think it might be related to your problem?
http://wiki.darcs.net/Internals/CacheSystem

Thanks,