[darcs-users] old-fashioned repository support in darcs 2.8

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Mon Nov 22 11:13:47 UTC 2010

Well I think we have two +1s.
Anybody else have something to add?

To be clear, the proposal from Guillaume is for Darcs
2.8 to offer only read support for old-fashioned repositories.

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 14:10:06 +0100, Guillaume Hoffmann wrote:
> 1) we decide to drop OF writing support in 2.8 (and probably
> borderline commands like whatsnew, diff), which basically leaves get
> and pull.
> 2) we update http://wiki.darcs.net/Roadmap so that people see it's
> part of a whole set of changes that will make 2.8 über cool.
> 3) we prepare a mail to be sent privately to owners of public OF
> repositories (typically, in the haskell community) to explain what
> comes in darcs 2.8 and later (citing the roadmap page)
> 4) prepare a blog post about the 2.8 roadmap, explaining the whys of
> OF support change, and telling a release 2.5.1 is prepared.

OK since somebody (you) is willing to take on #3 and #4,
I'm more positive about shooting for it.

> 5) bring on the patches for 1)! May it be from Petr's adventure patch
> bundle, or any other source, again this is to be discussed. Someone
> (maybe you, Eric, since you propose) should have a hat of "OF removal
> supervisor", whose mission ends when the patches are all accepted into
> HEAD.

I'll do the job (gulp!) if nobody else is willing to.
Other comments from the team?  If not, let's do it.

(If you have no objections, but would like to +1 but are afraid of
spamming, I'd say feel free; adds confidence)