[darcs-users] Overly chatty messages about --set-default

Ben Franksen benjamin.franksen at bessy.de
Sat Nov 27 00:19:33 UTC 2010

Ganesh Sittampalam wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> On Thu, 25 Nov 2010, Simon Marlow wrote:
>
>> $ darcs pull ~/darcs/ghc-testing/libraries/base
>> Note: if you want to change the default remote repository to
>> /home/simonmar/darcs-all/work/ghc-testing/libraries/base,
>> quit now and issue the same command with the --set-default flag.
>> No remote changes to pull in!
>>

>> But I *know* this.  In my ~/.darcs/defaults I have
>>
>> pull --no-set-default
>>
>> because that's the behaviour I find most useful.
>>
>> Perhaps darcs could notice that the user explicitly asked for
>> --no-set-default, and supress the "helpful" message in that case?
>
> I tend to agree. I've raised issue2003 and if there's general agreement I
> think this would be a good candidate for 2.5.1.

+1

I have the same setup as Simon, --no-set-default for pull (and push).

Also, I often get this message even w/o giving a remote repo on the command
line. This happens because the path in _darcs/prefs/defaultrepo is a
generic path containing symbolic links. I use this path because it is the
same whether I am on an NFS client machine or on the NFS server, whereas
the real path (given by /bin/pwd) is different on the two machines.

Cheers
Ben