[darcs-users] Darcs sociology

Isaac Dupree ml at isaac.cedarswampstudios.org
Sun Oct 3 04:09:41 UTC 2010

On 08/30/10 04:39, Vincent Zweije wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 12:20:54AM -0400, Isaac Dupree wrote:
>
> ||  So I was thinking of writing a history of Darcs from a semi social
> ||  perspective (perhaps semi technical perspective too).
>
> A few years ago, Gabriella Coleman did some research on the social
> aspects of Debian community. You might contact her about ideas.

Cool, thanks.  Now I'm narrowing my focus for a 5000 word paper -- I'm
thinking of writing about a specific "issue" or "patch" that involved
some tension between the different Darcs team members before the issue
was resolved (or perhaps, an unresolved one).  This way I can write both
social and technical perspectives on it.  Any ideas? -- either specific
issues or patches, or ideas of how to search for those "interesting"
bugs/issues?

I'd happily participate and help Darcs, such as volunteering to be Issue
Manager.  I'm concerned though, how much time do you think it would take
to do a good job at this? -- I'm a quite busy student this semester,
although starting in January I might have some more time.  (And I'll
have access to Boston / New York City.  Are any of you in those areas?)

I hope no one minds what I'm saying I want to write; depending on the
list's opinion I'll share my writing with you, or keep it private, as
you wish.  (I think sharing seems to be the operative culture here...)

I'm isaacd on IRC, although I always forget until late evening U.S. East
Coast time when some people are probably asleep (and my XChat gives me
trouble sometimes, I'd like a better client).

-Isaac