[darcs-users] [patch387] Resolve issue1942: fix the fix whichended up too stri...

Sittampalam, Ganesh ganesh.sittampalam at credit-suisse.com
Mon Oct 4 07:20:00 UTC 2010

Petr Rockai wrote:
> Ganesh Sittampalam <bugs at darcs.net> writes:
>> For me, with the patch applied to latest HEAD, 'cabal test issue1248'
>> consistently fails, whereas 'dist/build/darcs-test/darcs-test --
>> tests=issue1248' consistently succeeds.
>
> This is likely because the latter will pick up the darcs on $PATH,
> which is probably not the same as the one you have just built. You
> also need to pass --darcs path/to/darcs to test a specific binary.
> (Maybe it is worth printing a warning if --darcs is not given
> explicitly...)

I think it should fail completely; the test harness should never pick up
the darcs in the environment by default.

Anyway, I've now got a fix for the darcs tag failure, though I don't
fully understand why it was ever working! It's trivial; adding a patch
tries to optimize the inventory when the patch is a tag, but the
sequence of actions is "add patch to inventory" ; "optimize"; "write
patch file out". Reordering the last two steps solves the problem,
though it does imply we are reading a patch file when we shouldn't be.

I'll send it in this evening.

Ganesh