[darcs-users] Darcs sociology

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Tue Oct 5 11:31:18 UTC 2010

On Sun, Oct 03, 2010 at 00:09:41 -0400, Isaac Dupree wrote:
> Cool, thanks.  Now I'm narrowing my focus for a 5000 word paper --
> I'm thinking of writing about a specific "issue" or "patch" that
> involved some tension between the different Darcs team members
> before the issue was resolved (or perhaps, an unresolved one).

Some tricky patches maybe:

- attempt to finish witnesses (2008)
- big ByteString stuff after the 2008-10 sprint
- merging in google summer of code (2009)
  http://wiki.darcs.net/Review/DarcsHS
- adventure branch discussion

> I'd happily participate and help Darcs, such as volunteering to be
> Issue Manager.  I'm concerned though, how much time do you think it
> would take to do a good job at this? -- I'm a quite busy student
> this semester, although starting in January I might have some more
> time.

I can't give you a good estimate of how much time this takes, but one
way you could dip your toes in before committing to a management job is
to just take on the triage and customer service roles with me advising:
http://wiki.darcs.net/BugTracker

I think that's a very small (but daily!) time commitment.

> (And I'll have access to Boston / New York City.  Are any of
> you in those areas?)

Will be in Florida end of October, beginning of November so I'll
at least be in the same time zone

> I hope no one minds what I'm saying I want to write; depending on
> the list's opinion I'll share my writing with you, or keep it
> private, as you wish.  (I think sharing seems to be the operative
> culture here...)

I'd personally be interested in seeing what you write. As for sharing,
the general principle is to avoid the temptation/convenience of private
discussions, but you could override that with a feeling that discretion
is better.