[darcs-users] shouldn't rollback be in the "Copying changes between the working copy and the repository" section of darcs --help ?

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Tue Oct 5 11:53:18 UTC 2010

My two cents:

On Sun, Oct 03, 2010 at 18:22:13 -0700, Thomas Hartman wrote:
> But unlike these other commands, rollback only affects a single
> repository, the one you run the command in.

This is also true of obliterate, but note that there is a feature
request to re-introduce darcs unpull http://bugs.darcs.net/issue557

Darcs unpull would be safer in the sense that it would only allow you to
unpull patches that are still in the default remote repository.
Darcs obliterate could then become an alias for something like
darcs unpull --force

> Shouldn't it instead be in the
>
> "Copying changes between the working copy and the repository"
>
> section?

I'm not so sure about that.  First, in that section, commands tend
modify at most one of working or the repository, not both.

Second, there's a sense that all the commands in the "Copying patches"
section belong together.  Maybe it's just a notion of recency.  They are
all commands that you tend to run on patches which are already
"established", either by virtue of coming from some already repository,
or going to that other repository.

I can see the perspective that unrecord and amend-record are also
literally used on patches which already exist, but I think that the
use case of these commands is on more ephemeral patches... work that's
still at the wait-wait-I'm-not-done yet stage. They're sort of like
using the Git index.  See what I mean?

Is this the right sort of distinction to want to reflect?
Is there a better way to do it?

> You can think of rollback as writing a rollback patch in the
> working copy, and then committing, all in one step, right?

That sounds right.  Have a look at the (currently incomplete)
user model documentation.  It provides a table trying to
document how commands behave wrt the working directory and
the repository.

  http://wiki.darcs.net/Using/Model#working-and-patches

Maybe this could give some ideas about to structure the help
text.

> I would also create a new new section, for obliterate, perhaps called
> "unsafe" or perhaps "compound commands" and make it
>
> obliterate     Delete selected patches from the repository. (UNSAFE!)
>                      same as unrecord followed by revert.
>
> If one or both of these suggestion meets with approval, I will file todos in
> the appropriate place.

I'd be happier with issue557 instead, which isn't that hard