[darcs-users] Darcs sociology

Isaac Dupree ml at isaac.cedarswampstudios.org
Thu Oct 7 05:48:32 UTC 2010

On 10/05/10 07:31, Eric Kow wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 03, 2010 at 00:09:41 -0400, Isaac Dupree wrote:
>> Cool, thanks.  Now I'm narrowing my focus for a 5000 word paper --
>> I'm thinking of writing about a specific "issue" or "patch" that
>> involved some tension between the different Darcs team members
>> before the issue was resolved (or perhaps, an unresolved one).
>
> Some tricky patches maybe:
>
> - attempt to finish witnesses (2008)

(and then continuing incremental progress on spreading witnesses
throughout the code... that was interesting...)

> - big ByteString stuff after the 2008-10 sprint
> - merging in google summer of code (2009)
>    http://wiki.darcs.net/Review/DarcsHS
> - adventure branch discussion

To write about, I think I'm settling on a combination of the process of
getting 2.5 out the door, and the decision to drop old-fashioned support
(with http://bugs.darcs.net/issue1942 being a technical-focus-point,
hopefully serving as an example of why it's been difficult to keep
supporting old-fashioned, and clearly serving as a part of the painful
decisions involved in releasing 2.5).  But we'll see how my writing goes!

>> I'd happily participate and help Darcs, such as volunteering to be
>> Issue Manager.  I'm concerned though, how much time do you think it
>> would take to do a good job at this? -- I'm a quite busy student
>> this semester, although starting in January I might have some more
>> time.
>
> I can't give you a good estimate of how much time this takes, but one
> way you could dip your toes in before committing to a management job is
> to just take on the triage and customer service roles with me advising:
> http://wiki.darcs.net/BugTracker
>
> I think that's a very small (but daily!) time commitment.

Good idea.  I've thought again though, and noticed I'm already
exhausting myself this semester - my college is really intense - I
really shouldn't even try to volunteer for more stuff.  But I'm hoping
to take Spring semester away from college, so unless I end up busied
with a full-time job, I may have a reasonable chance to help out.

>> (And I'll have access to Boston / New York City.  Are any of
>> you in those areas?)
>
> Will be in Florida end of October, beginning of November so I'll
> at least be in the same time zone

Not close enough for me currently :).  Is there anyhow a map of
timezones or anywhere that some Darcs-developers have described where
they are?  I've a sense that quite a few are in Europe but I'm not quite
sure what that sense is from (maybe that the hacking-sprints often being
European).  Though, it doesn't matter terribly in the grand scheme of
things.

>> I hope no one minds what I'm saying I want to write; depending on
>> the list's opinion I'll share my writing with you, or keep it
>> private, as you wish.  (I think sharing seems to be the operative
>> culture here...)
>
> I'd personally be interested in seeing what you write. As for sharing,
> the general principle is to avoid the temptation/convenience of private
> discussions, but you could override that with a feeling that discretion
> is better.

Sure.  I don't imagine I'll be writing anything controversial.  I think
as for incremental progress, I might post to my tech blog (which needs
more love), http://melioria.wordpress.com/ , so that I don't spam the
uninterested people on the list; when I'm nearer to done I'll send
another e-mail.

-Isaac