[darcs-users] [patch407] hook env vars: add some haddocks (and 3 more)

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Sun Oct 17 08:40:57 UTC 2010

On Sun, 17 Oct 2010, Eric Kow wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 16:09:43 +0100, Ganesh Sittampalam wrote:
>>> Now I'm confused, and have questions. Until now sending a patch to
>>> the tracker & list did not imply any commit. Is this no longer
>>> true, or just an aberration in this particular case ?
>>
>> OK, we didn't communicate/discuss this case well enough, and I'm
>> responsible for pushing them to screened because they looked sane at
>> first glance. We should review whether or not we do this in future
>> without explicit request from the submitter (I guess we shouldn't).
>
> Do I understand correctly that this is about people wanting to be able
> to send patches mainly for comments (and perhaps being surprised if they
> get applied?)
>
> Sounds like the usual case is people sending patches hoping/expected
> they get applied, and that the for-comments case can be handled with
> an explicit DO NOT APPLY

I think the problem here is that Simon sent a patch that he considered
ready for applying, but when I reviewed it I asked for some changes, and
now he'd prefer to have a clean history. In a sense we explicitly decided
against clean histories when we chose to use screened, but that choice
doesn't necessarily have to apply to every submitter.

Ganesh