[darcs-users] [patch407] hook env vars: add some haddocks (and 3 more)

Simon Michael smichael at fastmail.fm
Sun Oct 17 16:58:13 UTC 2010

On Oct 17, 2010, at 1:40 AM, Ganesh Sittampalam wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Oct 2010, Eric Kow wrote:
>> Do I understand correctly that this is about people wanting to be
>> able
>> to send patches mainly for comments (and perhaps being surprised if
>> they
>> get applied?)
>>
>> Sounds like the usual case is people sending patches hoping/expected
>> they get applied, and that the for-comments case can be handled with
>> an explicit DO NOT APPLY
>
> I think the problem here is that Simon sent a patch that he
> considered ready for applying, but when I reviewed it I asked for
> some changes, and now he'd prefer to have a clean history. In a
> sense we explicitly decided against clean histories when we chose to
> use screened, but that choice doesn't necessarily have to apply to
> every submitter.

Simple-contributor-feedback: Yes, I intended these patches to be
applied, but sometimes I'll get important insights from the review
discussion which might make me want to redo or retract a patch. I
haven't much experience with the new process but hopefully it won't
work against clean history. I like being able to rely on the group's
wisdom to keep my stuff out of the repo until it's worthy. But, not a
big deal in this case and maybe it won't be in future.

Thanks - Simon