[darcs-users] Apply failed

Benjamin Franksen ben.franksen at online.de
Tue Oct 19 14:21:59 UTC 2010

Sittampalam, Ganesh wrote:

> Benjamin Franksen wrote:
>>> I already reported this for beta-3 (Message-ID:
>>> <i4j4pt$etj$1 at dough.gmane.org>). The same happens with beta-4:

>>> Pushing to "/srv/csr/repositories/controls/darcs/epics/ioc/MLS-
>>> Controls/base-3-14"... Mon Aug 23 10:51:18 CEST 2010
>>>   benjamin.franksen at bessy.de * removed repeated and obsolete lines
>>> in req file (EnergyRampApp) Shall I push this patch? (1/2)
>>> [ynW...], or ? for more options: y Mon Aug 23 15:24:10 CEST 2010
>>>   benjamin.franksen at bessy.de * added kickers to energy ramp
>>> (EnergyRampApp) Shall I push this patch? (2/2)  [ynW...], or ? for
>>> more options: d
>>> darcs: <stdin>: hIsTerminalDevice: illegal operation (handle is
>>> closed) Apply failed!
>>>
>>> This is from a fresh copy of the repo ('darcs get' from the shared
>>> repo
>>>
> /srv/csr/repositories/controls/darcs/epics/ioc/MLS-Controls/base-3-14,
>>> then pulled in the two new patches).
>>>
>>> Strangely, I get the same error now if I use darcs-2.4.4!
>>
>> I tried with the latest beta 2.4.99.1 and it happened again.
>>
>> I think this bug should be resolved in darcs-2.5.
>>
>> I think I have a fix, but I would rather like to test this with the
>> 2.5 release branch, instead of the mainline repo. However, I cannot
>> find this repo on the wiki.
>
> http://darcs.net/releases/branch-2.5/
>
> I've just added a note to http://wiki.darcs.net/Development/FAQ
>
> Thanks for the testing and the hoped-for fix! Is there a bugtracker bug
> for your problem?

Not yet. I originally thought this were be a stupid mistake on my part and
waited for a comment. Nobody answered and I forgot the whole thing.

BTW, I found out why the problem did not disappear if I use darcs-2.4.4: the
reason is that darcs-beta was still at the front of my PATH, and it seems
that when I push, darcs calls itself, but not with argv[0], but instead with
whatever it finds in the PATH. At least it looks like this, because it
*does* work if I remove ~/cabal/bin from my PATH. So, if I am right with my
diagnosis, this should be fixed, too. I hope I can find this in the code.

I will create tickets and try to fix this.

Cheers
Ben