[darcs-users] Does Darcs have a future?

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Thu Oct 21 22:34:54 UTC 2010

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010, David Bainbridge wrote:

> I found this page:
> http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/DarcsEvaluation
>
> The page seems to be old and Darcs is obviously still alive so what is
> happening? Can anyone explain?

Firstly, that page is specifically about GHC's use of darcs. So it was
never directly relevant to whether darcs has/had a future or not, though
of course they did form an opinion on the situation at the time. As you
can see, darcs development has in fact continued.

As far as GHC goes, I don't speak for the GHC team. My most recent
understanding was that they indefinitely put off migrating to git because
darcs has been improving; however I think there are rumblings every so
often in favour of actually making the move, so I don't know what will
happen in future. I guess it would be helpful if the webpage you link to
was updated, but that's not a matter for the darcs team, obviously.

Hope this helps. If you have other questions about darcs' future we'll do
our best to answer...

Cheers,

Ganesh