[darcs-users] DRAFT: hcar 2010-11

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Fri Oct 22 11:42:30 UTC 2010

On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 13:53:01 +0200, Eric Kow wrote:
> Comments?

Try number 2 (thanks, Ganesh and Petr).

\begin{hcarentry}[updated]{Darcs}
\label{darcs}
\report{Eric Kow}%05/10
\participants{darcs-users list}
\status{active development}
\makeheader

Darcs is a distributed revision control system written in Haskell. In
Darcs, every copy of your source code is a full repository, which allows for
full operation in a disconnected environment, and also allows anyone with
read access to a Darcs repository to easily create their own branch and
modify it with the full power of Darcs' revision control. Darcs is based on
an underlying theory of patches, which allows for safe reordering and
merging of patches even in complex scenarios. For all its power, Darcs
remains a very easy to use tool for every day use because it follows the
principle of keeping simple things simple.

Our most recent major release, Darcs 2.5, was in November 2010.  It
provides faster repository-local operations, faster record with long
patch histories, among other bug fixes and features.

Since our last report, we've had two successful Google Summer of Code
projects in the 2010 programme.  We hope that the work from these
projects will make it into our next major release, Darcs 2.8, scheduled
for March 2011:

Adolfo Builes improved the reliability of the Darcs cache system,
making Darcs performance more predictable. He used his work as a
basis for a high-level documentation effort (
\url{http://wiki.darcs.net/Internals/CacheSystem}),
explaining the technical details behind Darcs without implementation
detail.

Alexey Levan optimised the darcs get
operation with an ``optimize --http'' command. In a recent test, we
found that this dramatically reduced the time to fetch Darcs' own
repository:

\begin{tabular}{lrrr}
           & \multicolumn{1}{c}{before} & \multicolumn{2}{c}{after} \\
get        & 40 min &   3 min & \\
get --lazy &  2 min & 0.2 min & (11s) \\
\end{tabular}

Meanwhile, we still have a lot progress to make and are always open to
contributions.  Haskell hackers, we need your help!

Darcs is free software licensed under the GNU GPL.  Darcs is a proud
member of the Software Freedom Conservancy, a US tax-exempt 501(c)(3)
organization.  We accept donations at
\url{http://darcs.net/donations.html}.

\FurtherReading
\url{http://darcs.net}