[darcs-users] darcs 2.5 packager's preview 2

Ben Franksen benjamin.franksen at bessy.de
Tue Oct 26 21:33:56 UTC 2010

Reinier Lamers wrote:
> Op maandag 25 oktober 2010 12:13 schreef Benjamin Franksen:
>> Then I did
>>
>> > strace -oSTRACE darcs push /opt/repositories/controls/darcs-old-
>> fashioned/epics/ioc/MLS-Controls/base-3-14 -a
>> Note: if you want to change the default remote repository to
>> /net/csr/srv/csr/repositories/controls/darcs-old-fashioned/epics/ioc/MLS-
>> Controls/base-3-14,
>> quit now and issue the same command with the --set-default flag.
>> darcs: <stdin>: hIsTerminalDevice: illegal operation (handle is closed)
>> Apply failed!
>>
>> and the file STRACE is attached.
>
> Unfortunately, this strace contains only the system calls of the 'darcs
> put' process. The 'darcs apply' process, where the error apparently
> occurs, does not contain a failing system call.
>
> You could add the -f flag to the strace command line to trace child
> processes as well. But it would also be interesting to try to reproduce
> the error by doing send + apply instead of push. Then I would of course be
> interested in an strace of the failing apply.

The error does not happen when I apply a bundle:

> ~/bin/Linux/darcs --version
2.4.99.1 (release candidate 1)
> strace -oSTRACE_APPLY ~/bin/Linux/darcs
apply /net/csr/srv/projects/ctl/franksen/epics/ioc/MLS-Controls/work/fix_-approach-ramp-must-also-set-oldparm-_opticrampapp_.dpatch
WARNING: Doing a one-time conversion of pristine format.
This may take a while. The new format is backwards-compatible.
Pristine conversion done...
Finished applying...

BTW, don't be misled by the pathname, the remote repo is not an
old-fashioned repo.

I just tried to test push again to send you an strace -f ... and now the
error no longer happens. This must be a result of the apply in the target
repo. Note the 'Doing a one-time conversion' message below.

> strace -oSTRACE_PUSH -f ~/bin/Linux/darcs
push /opt/repositories/controls/darcs-old-fashioned/epics/ioc/MLS-Controls/base-3-14
Pushing
to "/net/csr/srv/csr/repositories/controls/darcs-old-fashioned/epics/ioc/MLS-Controls/base-3-14"...
Fri Oct  8 13:43:52 CEST 2010  benjamin.franksen at bessy.de
  * fix: approach ramp must also set oldParm (OpticRampApp)
Shall I push this patch? (1/3)  [ynW...], or ? for more options: y
Tue Oct 19 15:20:28 CEST 2010  benjamin.franksen at bessy.de
  * ramp procedure: use pvSetWait for ramping (EnergyRampApp, OpticRampApp)
  This ensures that the ramp will not accidentally get started for a second
time.
Shall I push this patch? (2/3)  [ynW...], or ? for more options: y
Tue Oct 19 15:22:45 CEST 2010  benjamin.franksen at bessy.de
  * ramp procedure: count steps, not times to decide when we are done
(OpticRampApp)
Shall I push this patch? (3/3)  [ynW...], or ? for more options: y
Finished applying...
Push successful.

It could prove troublesome to reproduce this problem now. Luckily I have a
tar running on this directory at this moment, and if am still more lucky it
got the old version of the target repo so I can restore it. Will have to
wait a bit longer for the tar to finish.

I attached both straces for what it's worth.

Cheers
Ben