[darcs-users] annotate output

Dave Love d.love at liverpool.ac.uk
Wed Oct 27 15:48:44 UTC 2010

[Apologies for not commenting before.]

Petr Rockai <me at mornfall.net> writes:

>> Darcsweb relies on annotate --xml output to show the annotate page, and
>> if it had only the hash ids, that would mean extra darcs invocations to
>> get authorship information.
>>
>> That is so because darcsweb does not rely on any database, or persistent
>> state. It's supposed to be a light, easy to install and read-only cgi
>> application.

I think the darcsweb case has to be rather similar to the Emacs one
(except that I'd rather deal with a fixed plain-text format than
possibly ill-specified or ill-formed XML).

>> I can imagine that, for example, a short-lived graphical anotate browser
>> (like git gui blame) could have similar requirements.
> Yes, see my suggestion above... what I proposed would look like (e.g.):
>
> hash1 | line 1
> hash2 | line 2

That's fine by me for vc-darcs use.

>> Also, if you are going to deprecate --xml, please make sure there is a
>> way to reliably detect the availability of the new output in a
>> backwards-compatible way.
> Is this good enough?
>
> darcs failed:  unrecognized option `--machine'
>
> (it also gives error code 2, while other failures seem to give error
> code 1.)

vc-darcs needs similar sorts of feature tests, and I think that's fine.
Now, if only annotate and diff were reasonably fast on a big repo...

By the way, are there any other known uses of annotate apart from
vc-darcs, darcsweb, and tracdarcs?