[darcs-users] annotate output

Dave Love d.love at liverpool.ac.uk
Wed Oct 27 15:49:02 UTC 2010

Alberto Bertogli <albertito at blitiri.com.ar> writes:

>> >  - Encoding of the author's name. Remember that people may put weird
>> >    characters in their name and it should be handled properly.
>> As long as we don't allow newlines there, shouldn't be a problem. (Even
>> if we do, it actually wouldn't be that much of a problem either.)
>
> Good to know. Will the encoding be fixed to UTF8 (or something else), or
> transparent (i.e. what the user put is what you get)?

Encoding generally seems to be a mess, so that anything other than ASCII
isn't reliable.  I should try to find time to look at it, but I don't
know anything about relevant Haskell technology.

> I thought it was inside the XML, but looking at darcsweb's code, I see
> it gets it from _darcs/prefs/binaries. So you're right, there should be
> no need for this.

I think it would be nice to have a darcs command interface for
extracting at least the info about boring and binary without having to
grovel _darcs.