[darcs-users] [patch420] resolve issue1809: don't call modernizePatch during co...

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Sun Oct 31 17:06:09 UTC 2010

On Sun, 31 Oct 2010, Reinier Lamers wrote:

> I have a question about tests/data/convert/darcs2threewayandmultipdeps.dpatch.
> It contains an empty patch B2. If I apply the bundle to an empty repo, I can
> unpull B2 just fine without unpulling anything else. This surprises me quite
> a bit. Is this an example of the lossy conversion done by 'darcs convert'?

I actually had completely failed to notice this, so thanks for pointing it
out!

After some investigation, it is indeed an example of such a case, and
darcs convert does warn the user of this. I find it rather disappointing
that such a simple conflict isn't converted. The fact that you can unpull
B2 is a simple consequence of it being an empty patch.

Also, we should probably improve our documentation to warn users that
repos with unresolved conflicts should not be converted if that results in
a "lossy convert" message, as they might lose data; you'll notice that if
you did a convert just up to B2 in this case then the actual B2 change
would be completely gone.

All of this is true with the old more broken convert too, so this change
is still a strict improvement; it generates far fewer lossy converts.

Cheers,

Ganesh