[darcs-users] code review tips

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Wed Sep 1 09:20:33 UTC 2010

Hey,

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 14:03:10 -0700, Simon Michael wrote:
> I don't review darcs patches often and found it a bit offputting.
> Here are some tips for myself which might help others or stimulate
> better suggestions:

Thanks for helping documenting our processes and for sharing your
personal experiences.  This sort of meta stuff can be quite handy,
tuning the machine machine.

> Set yourself a time limit, with an alarm. Don't be afraid to send a
> partial review. I assume they get easier and faster with practice.

That's a new one for me.

By the way, I also find patch review to be a bit daunting.  I have the
feeling that the way I do it is very inefficient (but Ganesh and Petr
seem to have more effective ways).  My issue is that I tend to want to
read every line of code, not so much for scrutiny but for understanding
what's going on. I feel like a kid that's still try to read by sounding
out each letter of the word.  On the other hand, I think that the times
I may get review right is when I manage to tell the story of the patch,
so to speak, but that's rare.

> When a patch bundle contains many/large patches, maybe split them up
> so you can review just one or more at a time without getting
> overwhelmed. Search for left bracket at the beginning of a line (in
> emacs, C-M-s ^\[ ). If you do this make it clear in your message
> which patches the review covers.

Note that if you

  darcs get http://code.haskell.org/darcs/darcs-team

You can find helpful sed and emacs scripts to make reviewing slightly
easier. Patches for these are quite welcome (and commit bits are handed
out very freely).

> If someone finds this worth rehoming on the wiki, please go ahead. Other tips welcome.

Not to bounce this back on you, but could you see if
http://wiki.darcs.net/Development/PatchReview could be fleshed out a bit
with your comments?