[darcs-users] machine-readable formats (Was: the state of the adventure)

Lele Gaifax lele at nautilus.homeip.net
Fri Sep 3 09:23:42 UTC 2010

On Fri, 3 Sep 2010 09:39:42 +0100
Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> wrote:

> * As far as I'm concerned, "not-XML" is a feature.

I second that, XML is expecially overkill when the structure is simple
enough that most "plain-text markup" would be up to the task. JSON is
simpler, but still not simple enough. I'd welcome (a strict subset of)
something like YAML (see http://yaml.org/ for an example) instead, that
offers a nice readable stream, based on common glyphs and indentation
to render arbitrary structures.

IMO, the main problem is the encoding, even with darcs current XML
output.

ciao, lele.
--
nickname: Lele Gaifax    | Quando vivrò di quello che ho pensato ieri
real: Emanuele Gaifas    | comincerò ad aver paura di chi mi copia.