[darcs-users] machine-readable formats

Lele Gaifax lele at nautilus.homeip.net
Fri Sep 3 11:55:37 UTC 2010

On Fri, 03 Sep 2010 12:35:43 +0200
Petr Rockai <me at mornfall.net> wrote:

> I had a look at YAML, and it seems nice and I think we can compromise
> for a regular subset of YAML quite easily. For changes --yaml, it
> could look something like:
>
> - name: Remove redundant set -ev from tentative_revert.sh.
>   author: Petr Rockai <me at mornfall.net>
>   date: 2010-09-03 00:13:27 +0
>   hash: 20100903001327-fb03a-045b1923d4b1b1b432d3e3b03840101f4f9891e3
>   salt: 3927beb21fed7484d681854a7d7df2c5
>   comment: |
>     Some fancy comment that
>     spans multiple lines.
> - name: Update changes_with_move for differences in annotate.
>   author: ...
>   (etc.)

Yeah, exactly what I had in mind!

> I am, however, a bit puzzled as to what to do about annotate, since
> YAML doesn't seem to be very well suited for that.

Right. Given your latest proposal, where annotate is just prefixing
each content lines with the patch hash and a separator, I think it
would be wrong "encapsulating" that into whatever markup. You aren't
going to do that for "query contents" either :-) That, and the
K.I.S.S. principle is respected too!

The downside of your proposal is that it could be heavier for a human
eye than the "patch index with a legend"...

ciao, lele.
--
nickname: Lele Gaifax    | Quando vivrò di quello che ho pensato ieri
real: Emanuele Gaifas    | comincerò ad aver paura di chi mi copia.