[darcs-users] machine-readable formats

Reinier Lamers tux_rocker at reinier.de
Sat Sep 4 17:11:15 UTC 2010

Hi,

And Lele Gaifax said:
> Unfortunately, the hard and most annoying aspect was to
> workaround imprecise non-ASCII chars encoding, and from fast memory it
> is still the only occasional glitch in the code, that needed some
> tweaks now and then.

I've been thinking of redoing our machine-readable output generation for a fix
of the encoding-related issue1143.

The patch metadata serves two purposes:
  * Explaining what the patch does to humans
  * Identifying the patch to machines

For the first purpose, we need a text (Unicode) representation. For the
second, we are tied to a binary representation by backwards compatibility.

Perhaps we have to include both representations in our machine readable
output.

Reinier