[darcs-users] annotate output

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Mon Sep 6 04:41:13 UTC 2010

Petr Rockai writes:

 > I should remind you that what you propose is not legal YAML, which
 > was also my reason against using it for annotate in the first
 > place. You either mangle the file contents doing custom non-YAML
 > quoting, or you use double-quoted YAML strings with escapes.

+1 for using standard YAML if we're using YAML.

 > The YAML spec explicitly says, that there's no other way to encode
 > arbitrary strings than to use "..." with \-sequences, which will
 > lead to really hard to read output (both for humans and non-YAML
 > machines).

But by now there are freely available YAML parsers for pretty much any
language but shell, no?  ISTM that if people are doing anything that
requires actually interpreting non-ASCII strings or other "hard to
read" output, they probably don't want to be doing it in shell anyway.
At least my experience on the Mac has been that non-ASCII file names
often don't work as you'd expect in shell (and shell quoting of file
name variables whose values might-or-might-not contain spaces is a
real headache, too).