[darcs-users] the adventure branch... or submitted?

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Mon Sep 6 14:43:09 UTC 2010

Looks like I was too effective at cooling the discussion.
Neverending learning process...

On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 13:16:17 +0100, Eric Kow wrote:
> 1. How do we review work from a single developer who is spending
>    disproportionately more time on the project than the others?

Q1: fast-patch-producer "problem" (not a bad problem to have).

We've been talking about this on and off last week on IRC.  I think the
current State of the Art proposal is the 'submitted' branch suggested by
Ganesh.

Ganesh, do you have a moment to summarise the discussion about
submitted, please?

Meanwhile, there's this
  http://wiki.darcs.net/Development/Adventure#adventure-options

> 2. How do we convince ourselves that the work is correct?

Q2: correctness.  I suggest we focus on getting Q1 resolved first and
then only come to this question. Three bits of progress:

- Zooko has offered to give us some help with concrete examples in
  learning how something like Test Driven Development might work in a
  Darcs context.

- Our unit test suite got a little bit of attention and tidying.  It may
  sound silly, but I think settling these sorts of tiny methodological
  questions like "what file/directory do I put my tests in" helps us to
  reduce static inertia.

- We seem to have started to write more tests.

So we don't have any formal ideas about this yet, but I suggest we
revisit the question when we have learned more about testing, and also
after we have settled the more logistical Q1 problem.

Thanks,