[darcs-users] [patch374] the state of the adventure

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Mon Sep 6 17:59:13 UTC 2010

On Sat, Sep 04, 2010 at 15:17:26 +0000, Petr Ročkai wrote:
> Thu Aug 12 01:30:27 CEST 2010  Petr Rockai <me at mornfall.net>
>   * Merge Darcs.RepoPath into Darcs.Path.

Petr later worked out why we have SubPath and not Relative (which I'd
completely forgotten about in my review, oops).

The point of SubPath is that it has no initial ".." (or anything that
could lead to one)

>   * Drop unused and redundant pathFromFileName.
>   * Make the tests pass (mostly ./foo versus foo in user-visible output).

Quick look at these

>   * Optimize darcs diff.

Reviewed by time machine

>   * Resolve hashed-storage dependency conflicts.
>   * Resolve conflict in Commands.Diff imports.
>   * Resolve conflicts in Commands.WhatsNew imports.
>   * Fix conflicts in Darcs.Diff.
>   * Resolve conflicts in Darcs.Patch.*.
>   * Resolve a (bogus?) conflict in darcs.cabal.

Ignored on the grounds of boringness. :-)

>   * First round of OF removal.
>   * Also remove support for getting old-fashioned (to hashed).
>   * Only test Darcs2 and Hashed (and not OF).

Blazed through these as they looked easy

>   * Set a $format variable in lib, depending on current repo format under test.
>   * Make the tests a bit less verbose (do not print all of lib every time).

Cherry picked these

>   * Modernize the conflict-doppleganger test.
>   * Fix up the module list in darcs.cabal.
>   * Update couple more tests for absence of OF.

Kind of ignored these....

More to go! If anybody wants to help chip away at this bundle, could be
good, or maybe we should focus on getting fast-patch-production
logistics settled.

Drop unused and redundant pathFromFileName.
OK

Make the tests pass (mostly ./foo versus foo in user-visible output).
> +cat _darcs/patches/pending

Quite a few of these debugging statements thrown in, same old
yada-yada about separate patches.

> -echo 'M ./foo +1' > correct_summary
> +echo 'M foo +1' > correct_summary

OK so I see that this is main change of the patch.

Is this user interface change going to pose a backwards compatibility
problem for people who are scrape-parsing our human readable output, and
should if so, to what extent should we care? Enough to post an advisory
in release notes? Enough to try to preserve existing behaviour?

Maybe now that we remember the SubPath/RelativePath distinction, it
could be worth revisiting this question.

Optimize darcs diff.
--------------------
Previously reviewed.  I remember pointing out some file move problems in
the command line arguments.

Resolve hashed-storage dependency conflicts.
Resolve conflict in Commands.Diff imports.
Resolve conflicts in Commands.WhatsNew imports.
Fix conflicts in Darcs.Diff.
Resolve conflicts in Darcs.Patch.*.
Resolve a (bogus?) conflict in darcs.cabal.
Given that I'm reviewing a Review Team patch, I can just assume these
are boring and ignore

First round of OF removal.
Also remove support for getting old-fashioned (to hashed).
Only test Darcs2 and Hashed (and not OF).
I blew through these three patches because they look like fairly
straightforward machete operation, basically removing
  if foo then hashedStuff else oldStuff
with
  hashedStuff

I'm also going to ignore the problem of how to make optimize
--upgrade work again when all the infrastructure has been blown
away.

Chopping through the jungle, whee!  I'm more much enthusiastic about
this work because I feel like we've made our attempt to be responsible
about it and do our darcs-users homework first:
http://lists.osuosl.org/pipermail/darcs-users/2010-August/024941.html

>                                                 $$ text "the maintainer to run darcs optimize --upgrade with darcs 2.4.0 or higher?"
>                                                 $$ text "*******************************************************************************"

Looks like warning text that could go too, but I'll bet you got rid of
this later.

> -copyRepoOldFashioned :: RepoPatch p => Repository p C(r u t) -> [DarcsFlag] -> String -> IO ()
> -copyRepoOldFashioned repository opts repodir = do

This one feels particularly nice to be rid of.  Checkpoints, partial
repositories, a whole lot of mess we can get rid of.

> rmfile ./src/Darcs/Repository/Checkpoint.hs
> rmfile ./src/Darcs/Repository/Pristine.hs

Rah!

Set a $format variable in lib, depending on current repo format under test.
Make the tests a bit less verbose (do not print all of lib every time).

Cherry picking these patches to the test suite which look like good
ideas.

Modernize the conflict-doppleganger test.
Didn't line-by-line this, as it looks like just some refactoring (we do
still have advice to avoid functions in test scripts, perhaps worth
revisiting) and removing any old-fashioned bits from the test.

Fix up the module list in darcs.cabal.
> -                      Darcs.Repository.DarcsRepo
> +                      Darcs.Repository.Old

Was just a rename in your first round of OF removal patch

Update couple more tests for absence of OF.
Treating as boring.