[darcs-users] annotate output

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Wed Sep 8 09:25:40 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 07, 2010 at 14:51:16 +0200, Petr Rockai wrote:
> > I just saw the disjointed thread about this in Gmane, but I can't find a
> > description of what's actually proposed for annotate.  Could someone
> > point me at it (e.g. as a message id, if it was posted here)?

See also http://bugs.darcs.net/issue25

Unfortunately, I had not done a good job of making it clear that
the proposed git-blame style UI was the proposed way of going
forward.  I don't have particularly strong feelings anyway, just
as long as we have good reasons for picking what we finally go
with.

I would add that the important thing is that we do the work, which
is what Petr did. Many times, UIs have to be designed from the
top-down, but here, I think we have the luxury of going from the bottom
up.  So we can continue to discuss this at a leisurely pace and
hopefully come to an agreement over time, with a working draft proposal
along the way.  It's how we got the hunk editor working and I think most
people are happy with the result, right?

Folks who would like to weigh in are more than welcome -- we need your
perspective -- but please and take take stock of what has already been
said to help us avoid going around in circles.  A nice contribution
would be to summarise the key points of the discussion so far.

Thanks,