[darcs-users] [patch386] Improve error message when _darcs/inventory fallback c...

Eric Kow bugs at darcs.net
Thu Sep 9 19:59:36 UTC 2010

New submission from Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net>:

1 patch for repository http://darcs.net:

This may be a bit pointless if we're just going to retire old-fashioned
but maybe the deprecation process will take long enough that we should
try to at least improve some error messages along the way.

That said, I wonder if we could (a bit as Brent suggests), start some sort of
error message campaign in which we try to make it clearer why things go wrong.

Thu Sep  9 20:42:55 BST 2010  Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net>
  * Improve error message when _darcs/inventory fallback check fails.

  One thing that can happen is permissions problems on hashed repositories
  which makes darcs unable to read _darcs/format and therefore assume the
  remote repository is old-fashioned.  This extended explanation tries to
  avoid confusing users.  Thanks to Brent Yorgey for help with wording.

files: improve-error-message-when-_darcs_inventory-fallback-check-fails_.dpatch, unnamed
messages: 12521
nosy: kowey
status: needs-review
title: Improve error message when _darcs/inventory fallback c...

Darcs bug tracker <bugs at darcs.net>
<http://bugs.darcs.net/patch386>