[darcs-users] proposal: license darcs wiki as CC-BY 3.0

Petr Rockai me at mornfall.net
Mon Sep 13 19:44:23 UTC 2010

Hi,

Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net> writes:
> For what it's worth, of the 5491 patches in the wiki:
>
>  - 1575 are created by anonymous users (from the Moin era)
>  - 2174 are by me
>  - 1344 are by around twenty people with 10 contributions or more
>  -  398 are by around 170 people with fewer than ten contributions

I think exercising our (new, presumably) annotate code would give you a
good approximation of which current content is actually problematic.
Since there's no way to measure derivedness and in case of the darcs
wiki it's quite doubtful anyway, I suggest to just explicitly mark any
non-<new-license> content that we find through annotate and say

"Content of this wiki is available under the terms of FOO, unless
otherwise noted."

Obviously, old revisions of the wiki won't carry this notice and people
that want to use such revisions would need to do the research on their
terms themselves. (Well, this is assuming that the footer is under
version control, anyway.)

When the last section with uncertain licensing is either licensed or
removed, the "unless otherwise noted" clause can be dropped.

Yours,
   Petr.

PS: I think it wouldn't be so hard to write a script that runs a file
through annotate and for each line, if the patch date is below X, add a
leading notice to the paragraph containing that line.

You could even use the new --machine output for that. :)