[darcs-users] darcs in 2010: talk/video online

Petr Rockai me at mornfall.net
Mon Sep 13 21:16:49 UTC 2010

Hi,

Matthias Kilian <kili at outback.escape.de> writes:
> Hmmm.. you mention that annotate has been improved, but I still
> have serious problems running darcs annotate on the ghc tree (or,
> to be more precise, on my mirror using a hashed repo of the ghc
> tree). I'm either running into a stack overflow or (with +RTS -K32M)
> into an out-of-memory, using the beta5 version of darcs compiled
> on OpenBSD (with ghc-6.12.3). Is this a known issue or shall I file
> a ticket for it?

the improvements are not on mainline, and won't be in 2.5. If you feel
adventurous, you could try darcs HEAD with the following (rather big,
admittedly) bundle on top: http://bugs.darcs.net/patch374 -- the actual
bundle file you can download and apply is
http://bugs.darcs.net/file1849/move-the-preferences-system-into-io-where-it-belongs_.dpatch

However please beware -- this is not mainline darcs and is not very well
tested nor has gone through the usual review yet. It also doesn't
support old-fashioned repositories. What I do is copy the binary over as
~/bin/darcs-ADV (adv for adventure) and only run it when I specifically
want to (e.g. for annotate, or diff, which are both much faster there
and since they are read-only, I am quite comfortable using them on
production repositories).

Yours,
   Petr.

PS: If you decide to give it a try, I would be much interested in
feedback from you. Thanks!