[darcs-users] proposal: license darcs wiki as CC-BY 3.0

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue Sep 14 13:24:48 UTC 2010

Eric Kow writes:

 > So maybe we have some hope of just outright relicensing it if we
 > can contact everybody and get them to OK the switch?

That's best.

FWIW, I believe Wikipedia unilaterally relicensed at some point.  Also
there was some discussion of this issue at the OSI, and there was a
draft white paper by Eric Raymond (who is not a lawyer) on some legal
theories that might let you get away with it.

 >  * simple
 >  * permissive
 >  * widely known/recognised/understood (no need to think about it)
 >  * written by real lawyers

I would say this reduces your options to three: The revised BSD
license, the Academic Free License (by Larry Rosen -- explain it as
the MIT/X11 license on steroids), and one of the Creative Commons
licenses.

The CC licenses are probably the best known of those for this purpose.