[darcs-users] rebase: initial preview release

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 12:26:18 UTC 2010

On 17/08/2010 22:27, Ganesh Sittampalam wrote:

> I'd like to announce a first preview release of a new 'rebase' feature
> for darcs.
>
> As a first preview, it comes with the obvious caveats about eating your
> repository etc etc.
>
> I intend to keep his feature on a branch for quite a while, in part so
> that I can "dogfood" it to keep the branch up to date, and in part to
> avoid it ending up in a release before it's ready.
>
> Please see http://wiki.darcs.net/Ideas/RebaseStatus for instructions on
> download and use.
>
> Please do send as much feedback as you can. There's lots I know I need
> to do, but also a lot of uncertainty around how the UI should behave.

A thought that occurred to me before, but I forgot to mention in my
previous emails about rebase: since what you're doing is basically
hacking the repository format to support two branches (one current, one
for suspended patches), maybe it would make more sense in the long run
to think about how to support multiple branches in one repo, and then to
build the rebase implementation on top of that.  Perhaps the
multi-branch support wouldn't need to be exposed via user commands
initially, and it would only support the internal operations required by
rebase, but it would be heading in the right direction.

Anyway, just a thought.

Cheers,
	Simon