[darcs-users] including old text in conflict markers?

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Sun Sep 19 08:15:48 UTC 2010

On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 17:05:43 +0100, Ganesh Sittampalam wrote:
> I'd like to propose that we change our conflict marking to include
> the text from before the conflict as well as each of the possible
> conflicting results.

> v v v v v v v
> import Foo ( bar, baz )
> =============
> import Foo ( bar )
> *************
> import Foo ( bar, baz, blat )
> ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Sounds like a cheap and simple way to improve lives.  I don't think
there are any backward compatibility issues we need to worry about
either.  Our conflict marking representation isn't exactly beloved.

I have some bikeshed questions for later, but I'm trying to retrain
myself to moving forward on the principle and major questions before
worrying about details.  :-)

For those interested in the sorry state of the Darcs conflicts UI,
here are the open issues which we have on our radar:

* conflict marking order is not consistent
  http://bugs.darcs.net/issue1958

* conflict marking should tell you which patches the sides
  of the conflict come from
  http://bugs.darcs.net/isuse833

* darcs changes should tell you which patches conflict with which
  http://bugs.darcs.net/issue1911

* darcs should make it very easy to know when you have a conflict
  http://bugs.darcs.net/issue1912

There are some UI mockups in these tickets showing what a Future Darcs
might do for conflict marking