[darcs-users] using screened for adventure

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Thu Sep 23 14:24:51 UTC 2010

Hi,

After a conversation with Petr
(http://irclog.perlgeek.de/darcs/2010-09-18#i_2839972) I'd like to suggest
that we use the screened workflow for managing his adventure work.

In view of the general aggressiveness of the adventure work, patches would
get lightly checked by someone else before being pushed to screened.

Petr would advertise in advance on the list any substantial changes, so
that they can be generally discussed and objected to if necessary. We
should probably maintain a wiki page with the current list.

If any tests need to be broken temporarily, then they will get renamed to
failing-adventure-xxx, so that we can check that they are all fixed later
on.

To keep the screened backlog down, we'll also need to be able to review
the work in pieces. It therefore needs to be clear what sets of adventure
patches can be pulled together. I'd suggest that the general rule should
be that any set of patches that passes the tests is ok to pull, and that
Petr should clearly flag if this is not the case.

The upside of doing this is that both Petr and other developers will be
able to minimise conflicts and thus wasted work.

The downside is that since we can't just leave things in screened
indefinitely without stalling all review work, we will effectively be
committing to accepting the adventure work into darcs in some form.

Cheers,

Ganesh