[darcs-users] [patch401] More visible old-fashioned to hashed notice.

Isaac Dupree ml at isaac.cedarswampstudios.org
Tue Sep 28 04:06:25 UTC 2010

The ignorant-reader-treatment:

On 09/22/10 06:03, Eric Kow wrote:
> ...because the next major Darcs release (June 2011)
>              will not be able to read old-fashioned repositories.

and

>              Upgrading is easy with Darcs 2.4 and higher:

makes me wonder whether darcs 2.8 will be able to upgrade old-fashioned
repositories if (as suggested by the first bit) it cannot even read
them; whereas the second bit suggests that all foreseen releases (the
June 2011 one being foreseen because it's mentioned) will be able to do
the upgrade (otherwise it would say "is easy with Darcs 2.4 or 2.5").

...I looked around & I think the plan is to support 'darcs optimize
--upgrade' and no other operations on old-fashioned repos, in 2.8?  Then
I can't see an obvious change to the wording...it really is a seeming
contradiction (it's for partly political reasons that we're only
supporting upgrade, not get, for example -- Explaining that isn't useful
enough to add a sentence to the message though.).

~~~ Also I wonder--a bit off topic (should I have started or replied-to
another thread?)-- Darcs 2.0 thru 2.5 can convert a repo from hashed to
old-fashioned, at least using 'get'-- Will 2.8 drop this ability
completely? Or can there be an optimize --downgrade?  (In order to make
people less nervous about upgrading, if they know it won't be too
annoying to go back later, where "annoying" = having to use a 2.0..2.5
binary.)

-Isaac