[darcs-users] what about removing the unrevert command?

Miles Gould miles at assyrian.org.uk
Tue Apr 5 10:27:09 UTC 2011

On Mon, Apr 04, 2011 at 11:17:19PM +0100, Iago Abal wrote:
>      1) This approach doesn't look like it's going to work out, and I want to
>      try something else, but I don't want to throw it away quite yet.
>      2) I need to drop whatever I'm working on NOW NOW NOW and fix a critical
>      bug in something else.
>
>    Well, for those purposes I just use branches
>    $ cd ..
>    $ darcs get --lazy --to-patch 'Last patch I want to keep' myrepo/
>    myrepo_something
>    Unapplying X patches
>    Finished getting.
>    $ cd myrepo_something/
>    Is stash really needed? Am I loosing something?

No, stash isn't really needed in a DVCS - as others have said, stashes
are just ultra-lightweight branches. It is, on the other hand, hella
convenient.

TBH, revert/unrevert would cover 90% of what I use git-stash for. But
this workflow should be explicitly documented if it's going to be kept
around, IMHO - it's a useful feature in its own right, not just an undo
command or something there to preserve an abstract symmetry!

Miles

--
An alcoholic is someone you don't like who drinks as much as you do.
  -- Dylan Thomas