[darcs-users] new feature proposal: interactively select remote repo

Miles Gould miles at assyrian.org.uk
Tue Apr 5 19:58:42 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 05, 2011 at 07:52:56PM +0100, Miles Gould wrote:
> OK, I'll bite :-)
>
> A possible alternative would be to allow the user to give nicknames to
> other repositories: "1.3_test", "steve", "production" and so on. Then
> the user could type "darcs push production" or "darcs pull steve".
> Is there already a facility for doing this? If so, I couldn't find it. I
> see two possibilities: adding a git-like "darcs remote" command, or
> prompting the user for a short name the first time a new repo is used
> (but what if they mistype the name? We'd probably need "darcs remote"
> anyway).

It's also worth noting that this proposal would probably break any
user scripts that work by reading or writing _darcs/prefs/repos. Either
that, or darcs would have to maintain two lists of repos, which sounds
to me like a potential source of bugs.

Miles

--
Are you OK? Can you play bass?
  -- unknown driver, upon hitting Jamie Zawinski with his car door.