[darcs-users] new feature proposal: interactively select remote repo

John Lato jwlato at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 09:21:57 UTC 2011

> To: darcs-users at darcs.net
>
> OK, I'll bite :-)
>
> A possible alternative would be to allow the user to give nicknames to
> other repositories: "1.3_test", "steve", "production" and so on. Then
> the user could type "darcs push production" or "darcs pull steve".
> Is there already a facility for doing this? If so, I couldn't find it. I
> see two possibilities: adding a git-like "darcs remote" command, or
> prompting the user for a short name the first time a new repo is used
> (but what if they mistype the name? We'd probably need "darcs remote"
> anyway).

 I would like this feature, either as originally proposed or Miles's
alternative (or both...)

Having said that, here's my attempt to play skeptic:

Wouldn't this feature be much less useful if darcs had in-place branching?
 The only repos I typically communicate with are a remote-hosted (publically
available) repo and other local repos.  With in-place branching, darcs would
be aware of all my local branches, so I would only ever communicate with one
remote repo.

John L.