[darcs-users] GSoC 2011: feedback on project selection?

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Thu Apr 14 22:44:23 UTC 2011

Hi all,

We have three projects that we're prepared to mentor.  There is a chance
(no guarantee!) that two of the projects will be selected this year.

- Darcs Bridge
  http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2011/owst/1

- Patch Index
  http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2011/bsrkaditya/1

- Primitive Patches 3
  http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2011/mornfall/1

Generally there is a consensus that we want the Darcs Bridge project.
Do you have any feedback on selecting between the Patch Index project
and Primitive Patches 3?

The first project will help us to finish off a long-promised bit of
work, optimising darcs annotate and darcs changes by maintaining a local
mapping from file names to the patches that affect them. Benedikt has
been working on this a while and has agreed to mentor a student (Aditya)
in finishing off the work, bringing it all the way into a releasable
state.

The second project has a much longer term perspective.  It offers to
begin some concrete work on ideas that have been tossed around a lot
during sprints or other discussions, things that we would like to see
happen in Darcs 3, for example, global identifiers for file names. It's
very specifically NOT promising Darcs 3.  The work is exploratory in
nature, but with a goal of a concrete implementation maintained in the
Darcs mainline itself (and possible benefits in terms of code refactors
and tidying).

Do you have any comments that could help us to choose between these two?
We have a few variables to weigh, but I want to make sure that the Darcs
community is one of them :-)

Thanks!