[darcs-users] 2.5.1

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Sat Jan 8 02:18:18 UTC 2011

Hi,

2.5.1 is coming together. The main theme is support for latest GHC
and other package upgrades (mtl, HTTP).

There's a list of patches I propose for it here: http://bit.ly/dOCZM8

and issues that are or will be resolved here: http://bit.ly/edGHki

Note that the following issues have been bumped for lack of a fix:
http://bit.ly/hhROcW

This doesn't mean they aren't important, just that this release is
becoming urgent since GHC 7 has been out a while and the Haskell Platform
will soon be released too.

You'll note that many of the patches still need review. Most of them are
fairly trivial and I will just push them to the branch without review if
everything else is ready to go.

But patch527, which monkeys with the --set-default hint message, does need
another pair of eyes, both to agree on the proposed UI, and to check my
rather ugly hacking around with the darcs option handling code to make it
work. So I'd appreciate a review as soon as possible for that. Remember
you don't need to be on the review team to write a review, and you can
just focus on one aspect if you don't feel qualified to comment on
everything.

I also propose that we do not merge the 2.5.1 tag into HEAD. This will
save us from some rather ugly conflicts, particularly in darcs.cabal.
Instead I will pull what patches I can and forward port any others that
aren't themselves backports.

The final issue is to do with a type system change in GHC 7. By default,
local let bindings are no longer polymorphic, which requires either a
bunch of rather ugly looking type signatures (about 40 of them; see
patch524). Alternatively we can add the NoMonoLocalBinds extension and
just add a single type signature (patch523). The disadvantage of that
extension is that it's considered a bit of a hack by Simon PJ. See this
thread on GHC-users for a bit more detail:
http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/glasgow-haskell-users/2010-November/019444.html

My inclination is to go with patch523 for 2.5.1 as it's a smaller change
overall, but make a fresh decision for HEAD.

If there is anything else you feel should be in 2.5.1 please let me know.

Cheers,

Ganesh