[darcs-users] Emacs interface (was: Strange bug in xdarcs.el (1/3))

Dave Love fx at domain.invalid
Thu Jan 13 14:49:27 UTC 2011

Rohan <rohan.hart17 at gmail.com> writes:

> Trent W. Buck <trentbuck <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Without further information, I'd like to suspect haskeline here.  Can
>> you tell xdarcs to use stdio instead of allocating a pty?  That ought
>> to convince Darcs that it's talking to a script (not a human).
>>
>> You may also want to check how vc-darcs.el and darcsum.el do things,
>> since AFAIK they both still work, though I haven't checked lately...
>
> Yes, turning off pty use fixes this.  In:
>
>   (defun darcs-do-interactive-command (root-dir patch-responses &rest options)
>
> wrap the "start-process" call like so:
>
>     (let ((process-connection-type nil))
>       (setq process (apply 'start-process cmd-line "*darcs output*" "darcs"
> options))

I just saw this at the end of the list when posting, and I don't know
how it originated.

Yes, you should disable pty use, which avoids various terminal control
stuff, like ANSI colour escapes.  (The Emacs VC framework should do this
generally, but it doesn't as far as I know -- it's relevant for most
programs of this type.)

I assume xdarcs.el is the thing from DVC (?).  I couldn't make much
sense of it when I looked a while ago, but it might usefully take code
from vc-darcs.el and/or darcsum.el.  See
http://www.loveshack.ukfsn.org/emacs/ for my vc-darcs and a pointer to
another one, and
http://joyful.com/darcsweb/darcsweb.cgi?r=darcsum;a=summary
In fact darcsum should maybe be punting to vc-darcs for various things,
even though vc-darcs hasn't been accepted for Emacs (sigh).

Incidentally, the regexp in the latest darcsum.el patch (Simon Marlow,
Nov 25) is trivially wrong, but the fix I sent hasn't been pushed.  It's
in http://www.loveshack.ukfsn.org/darcsum/ and will fix certain darcsum
hangs.