[darcs-users] problem with GNU/Linux 64-bit binary

Dave Love fx at gnu.org
Thu Jan 13 22:25:36 UTC 2011

[Apologies if this trans up twice, but Gmane seems to have dumped it
it.]

I don't know whether or not this is appropriate for the bug tracker:

I just had someone complain at not being able to run one of the
distributed binaries (http://wiki.darcs.net/Binaries#gnulinux) to access
a repo of mine, and I can reproduce the problem.  Running
http://teratorn.org/code/darcs-2.5.0-linux-amd64-ghc6.12.3-CURL-static.bin.bz2
on 64-bit RedHat 5 yields

  $ ./darcs-2.5.0-linux-amd64-ghc6.12.3-CURL-static.bin -h
  darcs-2.5.0-linux-amd64-ghc6.12.3-CURL-static.bin: mkTextEncoding: invalid argument (Invalid argument)

However, on Ubuntu 10.4, I get the normal help screen.  I assumed when
he complained with that message that it was locale-specific, but both
systems are utf-8, and trying LC_ALL=C doesn't help.

The 32-bit static binary
(http://teratorn.org/code/darcs-2.5.0-linux-i386-ghc6.12.3-CURL-static.bin.bz2)
doesn't seem to have the problem, and I have a working shared build of
my own, of course.

I don't have time to try to figure out what's happening, and maybe it's
not worthwhile.  Perhaps someone who can edit the wiki could at least
put a note on the Binaries page about it, and suggest trying the 32-bit
one.  Alternatively, I could try a static build myself, and provide it
if it works, but I seem to remember it wasn't obvious how to do so when
I tried before.