[darcs-users] encoding problems in darcs 2.5

Petr Rockai me at mornfall.net
Sun Jan 16 23:34:31 UTC 2011

Reinier Lamers <tux_rocker at reinier.de> writes:
> A bit of Googling for "ghc", "6.12", "non-ascii" and "special characters" in
> various arrangements does not turn up any bug reports however. Petr, perhaps
> you can point us to the GHC bugs that make that we have to set binary mode on
> standard in, out and err?
See:

http://buildbot.darcs.net/builders/6.12.3%20Vista/builds/67/steps/test/logs/stdio

We get:

| Fri Jan 14 17:10:23 Stdarcs-test.exe: <stdout>: commitAndReleaseBuffer: invalid argument (character is not in the code page)

and a crash. I think this is what happens when you try to print funny
characters (in this case, a letter with a diacritic) on windows, without
setting binary mode. You may need to double-check, though. I recall
fixing this problem in darcs proper by setting binary mode on stdio
handles. IIRC anyway.

Yours,
   Petr