[darcs-users] GHC 7, patch

Sittampalam, Ganesh ganesh.sittampalam at credit-suisse.com
Wed Jan 26 09:46:54 UTC 2011

Brandon Moore wrote:
> It seems darcs is required to download the development version of the
> repository, and the stable 2.5 tarball does not build under GHC 7.
>
> It would be nice if it was possible to get the development code
> without already having darcs - a non-headless repo which can be
> fetched with curl, nightly tarballs, whatever.

Do you mean the development code of darcs itself? As it happens that
doesn't build with GHC 7 either because (a) we haven't updated it yet
and (b) there a bug in GHC 7.0.1 that would prevent it building in any
case.

Is it that much of a problem to build a stable darcs first before
downloading the development one?

> The attached patch adds the signatures necessary to build the 2.5
> stable version under GHC 7. The real fix may be to replace the
> deprecated -fglasgow-exts with more focused extensions, so as not to
> get MonoLocalBinds.

The forthcoming 2.5.1 (next couple of weeks, probably) will build with
GHC 7. In the meantime you can get the changes necessary from the 2.5
branch repository: http://darcs.net/releases/branch-2.5/

Cheers,

Ganesh