[darcs-users] [darcs-devel] [patch639] Use utf-8 charset for darcs send in case of non-ascii ...

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Jul 8 03:21:28 UTC 2011

Gabriel Kerneis writes:

 > I was indeed kidding about the purity part.  But the point remains
 > that locales and characters encodings are a real PITA,

Nobody said otherwise.  I've been an Emacs/Mule developer for more
than 20 years.  I know the pain, I helped write two books about it,
and you haven't felt it yet, Brother.

 > the only reasonable way to sort all this out is to rely on people
 > using utf-8 everywhere.

Natural language is not reasonable.  Darcs can either deal with it, or
live with a reputation for being an unreliable piece of crap for the 1.5
billion people whose governments or daily practice mandate non-UTF-8
encodings.  Darcs has enough trouble being taken seriously as it is.

Giving a warning is enough.  The people likely to be burned by this
are not Darcs-specific.  They've been burned before.  Mostly they have
the tools needed to prepare their text appropriately for Darcs, and
are used to using them.