[darcs-users] How to you handle content-related dependencies?

Steffen Schuldenzucker sschuldenzucker at uni-bonn.de
Sat Jun 4 11:12:41 UTC 2011

Dear list,

using darcs to write my bachelor thesis, I repeatedly hit the following
problem: When I write a proof that refers to some other theorem, I want
to make sure that this theorem does actually exist.
When managing a source code repository, the problem should be similar.
In short, I want to specifiy dependencies which guarantee that pulling
my patch will lead to a consistent state again.

More traditional DVCSs like mercurial or git don't have the problem
because a changeset depends on all other changesets in the current
repository and if you do a backout/rebase/... it is *your* problem to
make sure this is done correctly, but it has to be done only once.

How do you solve this issue with darcs?
Do you really use record --ask-deps? I found it quite tendious to have
to go through all the previous patches just to see that the patch I'm
recording already has an implicit dependency on what I'm looking for.
Do you use tags?
Do you see it as an orthogonal task to what darcs provides? If so, which
tools do you use?

Looking forward to your replies.

Steffen