[darcs-users] How to you handle content-related dependencies?

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Mon Jun 6 08:55:35 UTC 2011

Steffen Schuldenzucker writes:

 > More traditional DVCSs like mercurial or git

To be precise, s/more traditional/history-DAG-based/.

 > How do you solve this issue with darcs?

IMO, the whole point of Darcs is that it isn't an issue.  That is, in
most cases each patch provides a new feature, and is more or less
orthogonal to other patches.  OTOH, bug fixes and a series of patches
related to a single "large" feature almost always end up with textual
dependencies.

If you disagree with the above point of view, maybe Darcs is not for
you.

 > Do you really use record --ask-deps?

Yes, but I've never needed to go through a large number of previous
patches.  For me it typically comes up in cases where project policy
requires a file-based ChangeLog or NEWS file and I forgot it, or when
it was convenient for some reason to do changes to foo.h and foo.c in
separate patches, etc.

HTH

Just-one-man's-opinion-YMMV-ly y'rs