[darcs-users] Fwd: Releasing 2.8
florent.becker at ens-lyon.org
Sun Jun 19 18:27:57 UTC 2011
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hi fellow darcs users and developpers,
it seems the time for 2.8 is now approaching. You can find all the
details about it at http://wiki.darcs.net
I will release a first beta real soon now, just by branching off from
the reviewed repository; see for this
http://darcs.net/releases/branch-2.8. After this beta is released, there
will be a three week period for testing ("elastic deep freeze"), with
new betas and rcs as needed. Only bugfixes will go into these betas and
rcs, via the branch http://darcs.net/releases/branch-2.8. During this
period, patches that are intended for the release should be sent using:
'darcs send http://darcs.net/releases/branch-2.8'. Please state that the
patch is for the release branch, especially if you use darcs send -o.
The end of the release cycle is uncertain: when new bugs are found in a
release candidate, there will be another RC a week later. Only when bugs
are not found in a release candidate for a week, it will be tagged and
released as darcs 2.8.0.
This freeze is elastic: if you have code that corresponds to one of the
unmet release goals and send it in next week, there'll be an extra week
for integrating it, after which, we go back to the (translated) schedule.
Thus, the schedule is as follows:
- - June 19, release-2.8 is branched and beta1 is uploaded.
- - On June 27th, beta2 is released
- - On July 7th, rc1 is released (aka 2.7.99)
- - Every thursday from there on, as long as bugs are found and fixed, a
new rc is released. After that, the last rc becomes darcs2.8.0, and is
tagged 2.8.0; That tag is backported to reviewed.
What's in 2.8
Since darcs 2.5 has been tagged, there have been 826 patches applied to
darcs. Here is a (subjective) list of the most user-visible changes,
report any omission:
Thu Apr 7 02:04:36 CEST 2011 Owen Stephens <darcs at owenstephens.co.uk>
* resolve issue2052: Implicitly use unified diff, unless told not to.
Sat Apr 2 11:57:25 CEST 2011 Guillaume Hoffmann <guillaumh at gmail.com>
* default darcs get to use packs
Fri Apr 1 17:21:06 CEST 2011 Owen Stephens <darcs at owenstephens.co.uk>
* Ignore thisrepo source.
Do not read or write the 'thisrepo' source to the prefs/sources file.
Thu Feb 10 21:08:31 CET 2011 dixiecko at gmail.com
* Add inferred XML Schema for outputs.
Wed Feb 2 17:03:36 CET 2011 Guillaume Hoffmann <guillaumh at gmail.com>
* remove OF write support
Make low level pristine handling functions fail on OF repository
by printing an error message.
Adapted from work by Petr Rockai
Wed Feb 2 17:37:52 CET 2011 Guillaume Hoffmann <guillaumh at gmail.com>
* make OF get warning message point to wiki
Fri Jan 14 16:44:49 CET 2011 Florent Becker <florent.becker at ens-lyon.org>
* add a --no-record option to rollback
Sun Dec 19 22:42:19 CET 2010 Gabriel Kerneis <kerneis at pps.jussieu.fr>
* resolve issue1350: reliable patch transport
Note that this patch does not compress attached patches, for the sake
of backward-compatibility. But it does resolve the points of issue1350:
hide context when reviewing a patch and ensure a reliable transport with
application/x-darcs-patch instead of text/x-darcs-patch.
Sun Oct 17 17:41:31 CEST 2010 Florent Becker <florent.becker at ens-lyon.org>
* resolve issue114: allow hunk-splitting in revert
The UI is stolen from record-hunk-splitting and therefore subpar. It
should be checked by native english-speakers and non-programmers.
Mon Nov 1 17:14:45 CET 2010 Florent Becker <florent.becker at ens-lyon.org>
* resolve issue1970: allow ssh:// urls
Sun Oct 17 10:52:26 CEST 2010 Florent Becker <florent.becker at ens-lyon.org>
* make progress message in pull less silly looking
Thu Sep 2 12:46:17 CEST 2010 Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net>
* darcs show tags --repo (instead of --repodir).
Fri Sep 17 23:06:53 CEST 2010 Adolfo Builes <builes.adolfo at googlemail.com>
* Solve issue1923: cache mechanism warns about sources outside your
Wed Aug 25 19:30:45 CEST 2010 Dmitry Astapov <dastapov at gmail.com>
* Fix for issue1932
Do _not_ check for colons in "isRelative" - everything is covered
inside Add.lhs and governed by use of "--reserved-ok" option.
Replace isRelative and isAbsolute with functions from System.FilePath
for correct handling of platform specifics.
Wed Aug 25 17:21:35 CEST 2010 Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net>
* Raise base package dependency to >= 4 (keeping it < 5).
We now require GHC 6.10.x or higher.
Fri Aug 13 07:54:54 CEST 2010 Jason Dagit <dagit at codersbase.com>
* dramatically improve the parser performance
This puts the parser's performance back to where it was before the
move to a Parsec-like API. The cruxt of the fix was to implement
linesStartingWith as a primitive instead of implementing it using
other parser primitives. Several other tricks are included, such as
using strict tuples that are partially specialized.
Sun Aug 15 23:13:08 CEST 2010 Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net>
* Restore obliterate output options.
They were removed for Darcs 2.5, but we can keep them in unstable
and resolve the underlying bug instead.
Sun Aug 15 20:20:10 BST 2010 Reinier Lamers <tux_rocker at reinier.de>
* resolve issue1924: remove output options of obliterate
M ./src/Darcs/Commands/Unrecord.lhs -3 +1
Sun Jul 18 13:33:53 CEST 2010 Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net>
* Resolve issue1530: allow user to pick from multiple email address.
If your global authors pref has more than one line in it, Darcs will
prompt you something like:
You have saved the following email addresses to your global settings:
1. Fred Bloggs <fred at example.net>
2. Fred Bloggs <fred at home.example.tld>
3. BLOGGS Fred <fbloggs at example.com>
Please select an email address for this repository.
Sat Aug 7 02:33:39 CEST 2010 builes.adolfo at googlemail.com
* Resolve issue 1599: automatically expire unused caches
Wed Jul 21 07:37:31 CEST 2010 Ganesh Sittampalam <ganesh at earth.li>
* resolve issue1896: enable witnesses for library
Fri Jul 23 15:18:47 CEST 2010 Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net>
* Fix deprecation warning on GHC.Handle in Exec module.
It looks like it was deprecated in GHC 6.12 along with the
Wed Aug 4 20:53:57 CEST 2010 Petr Rockai <me at mornfall.net>
* Re-enable packs and optimize --http.
Thu Jul 15 12:16:08 CEST 2010 Eric Kow <kowey at darcs.net>
* Resolve issue1883: rename --patch-name option to --name.
This is usually used in darcs record in shorthand (-m) form.
This rename is aimed at eliminating the confusion with the --patch
matcher, which bites amend-record and rollback users.
What we need to make the release happen:
- -Benchmarks, please use darcs-benchmark on HEAD, and report; currently,
darcs-benchmark is broken for two reasons:
* it does not compile with modern ghcs. For this, please get it from
darcs get http://tausenblum.lautre.net/darcsystuff/darcs-benchmark
for a modernized versions
* The benchmarks repositories are not available anymore. If you have
them somewhere, then you can use them (skip darcs-benchmark get);
otherwise, we'll make them available as soon as possible.
- -Exotic platform support: we need someone to check that installing on
windows and mac works. We'll also need a windows installer and something
(what?) on mac.
- -Check for release blocking bugs and regressions, please use the betas
and report issues.
- -Marketing: where do we announce and how?
Where we are with respect to the roadmap:
In comparison to what http://wiki.darcs.net/Roadmap has for 2.8, a lot
of things are still marked TODO. On the other hand, we are already
behind schedule. For this reason, the freeze will be an "elastic
freeze", as explained above. The unmet release goals are below, if you
have patches for these points, please shout now!
* issue1938: this seems to be definitely better than 2.4, but may be
a regression with respect to 2.5. Needs investigation.
* issue 1934/305: Petr, can this garbage collecting be done in
hashed-storage for the _darcs directory? Additionally we may or may not
want to garbage collect the cache or limit the size of the cache. Unless
a someone comes up real soon with a proposal, this is going to be
deferred to 2.10
* break up cache: we had an implementation of this in progress, but
no news since. Probably deferred too.
* filecache: idem
* darcs test: likewise
I don't want to add anything to this message, and that's fine with darcs.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.11 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
More information about the darcs-users