[darcs-users] Report after triaging 2.8 release blocker: what remains to be done

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Thu Oct 13 13:21:21 UTC 2011

With a nod from Heffalump on IRC, I momentarily stepped into my old rule
of bug tracker czar and reviewed all the bugs tagged with the 2.8
milestone to see what could be done to move the release along.

Mostly I found things which weren't regressions from 2.5.1.
That is, we can push off addressing them until 2.10, and our quality
will be no worse than it was before, and all the fixes and features in
2.8 will actually get released. Indeed, many of the issues were things
that I had been pushed from the 2.4 release to the 2.5 milestone
previously. :)

In they end, there are less than 10 items left marked with the 2.8
release goal. They can be easily moved into 2 categories:

-- probably related to packs
-- probably not regressions since 2.5.1.

http://goo.gl/im3iE

It seemed clear from the review that --packs are not ready for
prime-time yet. They are barely documented and cause a number of
documented problems in the bug tracker.

Either this feature should be removed (which may be difficult, I
imagine), or the default should be --nopacks for 2.8 (probably fairly
easy). If the feature remains, it should be clearly marked as
experimental, perhaps with a link to related open tickets in the bug
tracker.

Once the issue of --packs are addressed, 2.8 looks basically ready to
release according to the bug tracker.

Also, I think it could be worth adding a "Packs" Topic to the bug
tracker to keep all those issues together.

    Mark